Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Real Help for the Modern Family: How to enjoy a great marriage

My message notes from April 15, 2012


Real Help for the Modern Family Part 2:  How to enjoy a great marriage

Intro:  We are spending six weeks to offer real help for families
We are on a quest to recover healthy families!
Goal = Recovery of Healthy Family!

We can’t do this on our own…
Philippians 4:13  I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me.

Many people are seeking a healthy marriage and family
-Jeff Foxworthy "I say, If everybody in this house lives where it's God first, friends and family second and you third, we won't ever have an argument."

-Amy Winehouse "I know I'm talented, but I wasn't put here to sing. I was put here to be a wife and a mom and look after my family. I love what I do, but it's not where it begins and ends."
    -She wanted to have a great marriage and family, but didn't know how
-Wanting real help for our families and actually seeking and embracing real help are two different things!


How to enjoy a great marriage  Genesis 2:18-25
What are the Enemies of Marriage (diagnosis of dysfunction)
-Genesis 3:6
-1 John 2:15-17
1.  Wandering Feelings
-I want to feed my flesh, enjoy the fruit of what I'm not supposed to have
 -If it feels good, do it!
2.  Wandering Eyes
 -I keep looking at what I can't have, longing for it, thinking about it
 -I take my focus off of what I already have
3.  Prideful Heart
 -I'm unwilling to admit I'm wrong, and uninterested in confessing my weaknesses to others
 -I think I know better than God

How to enjoy a great marriage:  Genesis 2:18-25
Treat my spouse as my…
1.  Companion
-“it is not good for man to be alone
-what is a best friend?  Do those things!

2.  Helper
-complimentary roles, a team, mutually beneficial

Treat my spouse as my…
3.  Equal  “bone of my bone, flesh of my flesh!”
-taken from his side, not his foot!  
-we walk alongside one another
-man and woman are both made in the image of God!

4.  Only
-we leave our family to form a new family unit
-bond:  cement, glue, each becomes part of the other
-my spouse is my exclusive partner in life for enjoyment
-fidelity is paramount to true happiness, peace and joy

5.  Confidant- the one I share all my secrets with
-physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually

Practical exercise:  “We”   vs.    “I”
Think about everything you do…
-is this activity something “We” have agreed on or “I” just want to do?
-is what I am about to do something my spouse is ok with?
Calendar- How I spend my time, where I go, what I do
Money- Do I swipe my card, spend my cash and make my deals with my spouse in mind?
Social Media- who do I connect with?  Does my spouse know everywhere I go online?

Remember:  We can’t do this on our own!
Philippians 4:13  I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me.

How to enjoy a great marriage
My next right steps…
1.  Practice Genesis 2:18-25
-Marriage 101 starting two weeks from tonight

2.  Practice “We”

3.  Trust Jesus
-Matthew 28:17  “some” didn’t  believe the resurrection
                            Even after they saw Jesus physically!
-You know Jesus makes a difference…will you trust in Him now?

No comments: